Don’t you just love the idea of adding extra warmth to your comfort in a cold night? We all do. But a central heating system or even the most powerful heater is often unable to provide the necessary heat when it is freezing inside the house.
So what can you do?
The answer is supplemental heating. It is a great solution to feeling a little more comfortable. And there is no heater more efficient than an electric baseboard heater for supplemental heating.
Baseboard heaters have always been the most used solution. They are cheap and provide great service. The baseboard heaters available in the market are now more efficient than ever. That is why; buying the best electric baseboard heater is often an economic decision too.
But there are hundreds of brands rampaging through the market. Choosing the best one among them is quite hard and confusing.
But fear not. We have prepared this article to guide you and make the best decision.
First, you need to understand what a baseboard heater is and how it operates. So let’s have a look at them.
Table of Contents
- Top 6 Best Electric Baseboard Heaters Reviews
- 1. Fahrenheat PLF1004 – Best Baseboard Heater
- 2. Marley HBB1254 Qmark – Best Electric Baseboard Heater
- 3. Fahrenheat PLF1504 – Energy Efficient Baseboard Heater
- 4. DIMPLEX NORTH AMERICA PC6025W31 – Wireless Baseboard Heater
- 5. Cadet 2F500-1W – Cheap Baseboard Heater
- 6. CADET 9954 – Best Electric Baseboard Heater
- Things to Know Before Buying an Electric Baseboard Heater
- Advantages of Having a Baseboard Heater
- How to Install a Baseboard Heater
- Safety Tips for Electric Baseboard Heater
What Is a Baseboard Heater?
This will come in handy for those who have no clue about what a baseboard heater is. To simply put, it is a heater that is situated in the baseboard of your house. The heaters we are going to discuss in this article are normally called zone heaters. That means they are built specifically to warm up a certain area. A typical central heating system will operate to heat up the entire house. But these heaters confine the heat to a smaller area. They are typically installed underneath the baseboard.
How does an Electric Baseboard Heater Work?
The principle of science used by an electric baseboard heater is simple yet fascinating. Have you ever noticed that the electric baseboard heater is placed underneath the windows? The reason is simple –
Baseboard heaters operate through a process called “convection”. When the cold air comes through the window of your house, it gets in the baseboard through a vent. Inside the baseboard, there are several metal fins. These fins are warmed up using electricity. When cold air falls to the baseboard, it gets warmed up by the hot metal fins. The hot air then rises up and is dispersed throughout the room.
So you can clearly understand how interesting an electric baseboard heater can be!
Top 6 Best Electric Baseboard Heaters Reviews
If you are one of those who must have the best electric baseboard heater, Fahrenheat PLF1004 is probably the right choice for you. This spectacular heater is known for its heating efficiency. It is very suitable for any places you like – be it the bedroom, kitchen or bathroom, Fahrenheat PLF1004 is able to provide the sufficient heat you need.
Know More in Brief
- Overheat protection feature: One of the finest features of this amazing heater is its safety feature. The heater will not operate when the air intake of it is blocked by something. That way, this heater makes sure that it does not get overheated.
- Liquid-element Technology: This feature is like no other you have ever seen. The liquid-element technology keeps the heater cool, so it is safe to touch. Therefore, it is perfect for houses with children or pets.
- Silent operation: Most traditional baseboard heaters tend to make a lot of noises, but not this one. Fahrenheat PLF1004 does not use any blower or fan to operate. So, you will hardly notice the heater running. Also due to no blower or fan, dust will not flow around your house.
- Warranty: The warranty for this heater shows just how confident the manufacturers are about this product. They provide ten years of warranty for the heating element from the day of installation and one year of warranty for any kind of defects in the materials from the day of installation.
This is one of the best electric baseboard heaters in the market right now and also one of our favorites.
Know More in Brief
- Convection flow: This heater is applauded by numerous customers because of its efficient heating capability. It utilizes the strong convection flow with the help of its unique design.
- Heat retention capability: Now this is a truly unique feature that will blow your mind. Normally, traditional heaters stop delivering heat after they are turned off. But not this heater. Marley HBB1254 Qmark will continue to deliver heat even after it is turned off. This is due to the heating element. The heating element is made of durable materials which have high retention ability. Therefore, when the heater is turned off, the heating element still stays warm for a long time.
This way, you do not have to run the heater for a long time. This will also reduce your electricity bill substantially.
- Ability to customization: The best thing about this heater is the ability to customize it. There are a lot of accessories available for the customization of the heater. You can add multiple heaters and operate them as a single unit.
- This heater is a bit expensive.
This heater is a premium product. Yet it serves its purposes with maximum efficiency. So don’t rule out this product.
This amazing heater is a Hydronic Baseboard Heater and has a wattage capacity of 1500W. This heater is perfect for those who want to get maximum efficiency within their budget. Its low-profile design makes it suitable to use it anywhere, be it a bedroom, bathroom or kitchen.
Know More in Brief
- Silent operation: Unlike most traditional baseboard heaters, Fahrenheat PLF1504 makes hardly any noise. This spectacular heater turns on or off without making any sound.
- Fanless operation: Forget about the typical fans used in the heaters to blow the hot air into the room. Fahrenheat PLF1504 does not use any fan or blower to operate. Therefore, you will not need to worry about dust and particles circulating in the room.
- Overheat protection feature: One of the best features of this unit is its overheat protection feature. This feature prevents the heater from running when its intakes are blocked by any kind of obstacles. That is why; this heater is safe and reliable. This is one of the reasons why this heater is applauded by numerous consumers.
- Built-in cable clamp: If you do not know what a cable clamp is – it is a small mechanical device that provides support to the heater. Using this cable clamp, you can add multiple heating units and operate them together.
- The price of this product is a bit on the higher side.
If you do not compromise anything for quality, then this is the right product for you. After buying this product, you will not complain about the price. Because this heater provides more benefits than it costs.
This heater stands out as one of the best heaters in the market right now. This is a wireless baseboard heater and is very efficient. This heater operates in 240 volts and has a wattage capacity of 2500W.
Know More in Brief
- Built-in electronic thermostat: The main feature of DIMPLEX NORTH AMERICA PC6025W31 that makes it energy efficient is its built-in electronic thermostat. It automatically preserves room temperature according to your need. This thermostat can also slash your energy bills by 33 percent.
- Epoxy/polyester powder coating: The coating of the heater is made of polyester. It is very much resistant to fading.
- Warranty: The warranty feature of this product is like no other you have ever seen. They provide 10 years of warranty for the elements and 1 year of warranty for the heating unit! I mean, that is just amazing. It just shows that they are very confident about their product.
It weighs 12 pounds. But that should not be a problem, because people don’t usually move their baseboard heaters around.
This is a premium quality product. We would suggest you consider buying this.
Know More in Brief
- Dimension: The size and dimension of this heater are spectacular and deserves to be praised. It measurement is 2.5 x 30 x 6.8 inches. It comes in white color and weighs only 6.3 pounds. It has a capacity of 500 watts, which is great for additional heating.
- Easy installation: One of the main reasons for this heater to be on our list is its easy and effortless installation process. Cadet 2F500-1W does not need any ductwork or unnecessary expenses to install. It also comes with pre-punched knockouts at 1-inch intervals, which makes the installation process a lot easier.
- Universal wiring available: stay tension free with Cadet 2F500-1W. No matter where you want this heater to be installed, it can be done – thanks to the universal wiring.
This heater comes in only one color. Although it is not related to the efficiency of the heater, different people have different choices.
This heater is great if you use it in a small room. It provides maximum efficiency when placed under the window.
CADET is a familiar name in the heater industry. Another addition to the great CADET products is this one – CADET 9954 Baseboard Heater. This unit also comes in white color and great for an efficient heating solution. This product is also UL listed, which shows that they are reliable.
Know More in Brief
- Convection heating: This heater follows the principles of convection heating. That means, to heat up space, it circulates the air. By doing so, this heater can heat up space up to 150 square feet.
- Quiet operation: One of the interesting features of this heating unit is its quiet operation. You will hardly notice the heater running. That is why; it is very suitable for places like bedrooms. You can have a sound sleep with this heater turned on.
- Safety feature: Safety is one of the main concerns of CADET. That’s why they have put a thermostat in the product. The will automatically turn off if the average temperature is surpassed.
This heater is not a plug-in model. Although some users may find it useful.
This heater is great for supplemental heating. It also costs less than other CADET products.
Things to Know Before Buying an Electric Baseboard Heater
As we have discussed several times, buying electronics is not an easy task. It requires a lot of technical knowledge and judgment. Luckily, you will not need to worry about that. Because we have sorted out some things to consider before you go out to buy the electric baseboard heater. Have a look at it before making any decision –
- Cost: Usually, baseboard heaters are cheap and are within your budget. Then again, the cost differs from one heater to another. Cost also depends on the size, wattage option, materials used for making the heater and many other things. So, if you have an existing central heating system in the house, you can use the electric baseboard heater for supplemental heating purpose. Then, it will cost you less.
- Repair and Maintenance: Maintenance of an electric baseboard heater is relatively easy. Once you install it, you will hardly require any sort of repairing. But, since it is an electric heater, it will require a certain level of care. Before buying the best electric heater, check whether the heater comes with a repair and maintenance instruction manual or not. You should not buy one which does not provide you with sufficient guidelines.
- Size of the room: You must always consider the area you want to be covered by an electric baseboard heater. If you require a small space to be warmed up, a small heater will be sufficient enough for you. Normally, baseboard heaters are used for supplemental heating purposes. That means, people use the best electric baseboard heater to add extra warmth to the room.
- Design: The choice of design varies from person to person. Usually, people look for a product which goes with their lifestyle. So, consider the design of the electric baseboard heater. Choose the color of the heater wisely. Make sure it goes with the environment of your room.
- Safety: One thing which is a must to consider is the safety issue. Safety trumps all other considerations. Electric products are prone to damage and can cause a fire. So, be careful about the baseboard heater you want to buy. Make sure whether the heater comes with any safety feature or not. If it does not, then don’t buy it.
Normally, all the electric baseboard heaters discussed in this article provide safety features for you.
Advantages of Having a Baseboard Heater
Having an electric baseboard heater in the house is a blessing. There are many factors that make having an electric baseboard heater a smart choice. After going through this section, you will clearly understand why baseboard heaters are popular –
- Efficiency: Relatively, baseboard heaters are more efficient than traditional heaters available in the market. As we have discussed earlier, baseboard heaters follow the convection heating process. In this process, the heater draws the cold air to it, heat it up and then blow the hot air into the room. When the hot air serves its purpose, it gets cooled again. Then this cool air falls to the floor, which again gets warmed up by the baseboard heater. This process continues to happen until your room gets its desired temperature. When the room is at an optimum temperature level, the heater automatically shuts off, saving valuable energy.
- Ease of Installation: The most practical reason for people to love baseboard heaters is the installation process. You do not require hard work to install a baseboard heater. The best electric baseboard heaters do not require any ductwork.
- Easy maintenance: Maintaining an electric baseboard heater is also easy. Baseboard heaters do not have a fan or blower. The heating element requires no maintenance because it does not have any moving part. The only maintenance required is the cleaning of the grill of the heater, to keep it dust-free.
- Supplemental Home Heating: If your house depends on a central heating system, then having an electric baseboard heater is cherry on top. Baseboard heaters are great for supplemental heating. The central heating system often fails to deliver optimum warmth to the room if the temperature falls to freezing point. In those times, the electric baseboard heater comes as a blessing. These heaters can provide just enough warmth to meet your needs.
- Overheating protection: Baseboard heaters come with several safety features. One of the key advantages of using an electric baseboard heater is the overheat protection feature. This feature prevents the heater from running when it gets overheated.
How to Install a Baseboard Heater
Installing a baseboard heater is very easy and can be done in 4 simple steps –
- Step 1: Measurement of the room: take the measurement of the room in the square foot where you want the baseboard heater to be installed. Buy a heater allowing 10 watts for per square foot. So, if your room is 150 square foot, then you will require a heater of 1500 watts.
- Step 2: Install a breaker: The breaker can be installed by a licensed technician.
- Step 3: Thermostat wiring: thermostat wiring depends on the voltage the heater runs on. But the main work is the same. You will need to connect the thermostat box with the heater using a circuit cable.
- Step 4: Heater wiring: for 240 volts, all the circuit wires connect to the heater wires, and there is a ground wire which connects to the ground wire. For 120 volt, there is a black wire that connects to one of the heater wires, and the neutral circuit wire gets attached to the other heater wire.
For a clear understanding, read the installation manual carefully that comes with the heater.
Safety Tips for Electric Baseboard Heater
Electric baseboard heaters have a lot of technicalities and therefore should be treated with cautiousness. Here are some safety tips for you –
- An electric baseboard heater is basically a convection heater. So, it requires the flow of air. So make sure that, there is no obstacle in front of the heater that might block the air from passing through.
- Place the hazardous materials far away from the heater.
- Control the thermostat with care. There should be only one thermostat for the baseboard heater. Also, changing the thermostat settings often is not a good idea as an electric baseboard heater requires time to heat up the room.
- If you want your heater to last long, clean it regularly. The dust and particles that fall on the heater may block the flow of air. But never use water to clean the heater. It is better if you vacuum the heater.
- Place it somewhere your pets or children will be unable to reach to. Baseboard heaters do not get overheated easily. But it requires many types of wiring. Loose wires can create a lot of problems, even start a fire.
- For being extra safe, you should call upon a licensed technician to install the electric baseboard heater in your house. That way, you will not have to go through the hassle and stay safe as well.
Buying a heater can be really tiresome. There are so many options that it gets really confusing. But you can easily win it if you use a little knowledge and your common sense.
We hope, now you have a better picture of a baseboard heater and what are the benefits of it. With this knowledge, hope you will be able to make the best decision.
Best Electric Baseboard Heaters Comparison Chart
100% energy-efficient, no disruptive pop
Heat without dust or other allergens
Heat retention capability
Fanless, silent operation
Built-in cable clamp
Epoxy/polyester powder coating
built-in electronic thermostat
energy efficient, comfort & compatible
Oversize high temp. limit switch with capillary sensor tube
For best result Place under window
Universal wiring available
UL Listed Heater
All Metal & Powder Coated
25 Gauge Steel
20 Gauge Junction Box With Ground
So go today and buy the best electric baseboard heater that you like. And also, don’t forget to share your experience with us by leaving comments and by clicking the contact us. Good luck!