We bet when you saw the title of this article, you stumbled and thought to yourself “what in the world is a weighted blanket?”
That’s right. Most of us do not know what it is and what the purpose of using one is.
But, by the end of this article, you will be amazed to know just how amazing a weighted blanket is and probably will want to buy one for yourself.
So, before wasting any time, let’s find out what a weighted blanket is, shall we?
Table of Contents
- Top 5 Best Weighted Blankets For Adults in 2021
- 1. Qusleep Diamond Weighted Blanket – Best Weighted Blanket
- 2. Calmforter Premium Weighted Blanket
- 3. YnM Weighted Blanket – Best Quility Weighted Blanket
- 4. Amy Garden Weighted Blanket – Best Adult Weighted Blanket
- 5. Casper Sleep Weighted Blanket
- Importance of Having A Weighted Blanket
- Things to Consider Before Buy a Weighted Blanket
- Final Verdict
What is a Weighted Blanket?
Many of us are confused with the term “weighted blanket”. Some people think that it is just a regular blanket. But truth be told, there is a small distinction. They look just like a regular blanket but work differently. Weighted blankets are stuffed with plastic pellets or glass beads, to give the blanket more weight. You may also come across blankets which are filled with rice, millets or other things that can make the blanket heavy.
You may be wondering why anyone needs to have an extra heavyweight blanket when normal blankets are quite heavy themselves. Well, this extra weight creates more pressure and simulates the user’s body. Therefore, a user feels a sense of relaxation and can have a deep slumber.
How Do Weighted Blankets Work?
Weighted blankets are proven to be very scientific and beneficial for health. The science behind the extra weight is called deep touch pressure (DTP). These blankets are used to apply pressure to your body. When your body is under pressure, it releases serotonin – a chemical responsible for relaxation and dopamine – a chemical responsible for happiness.
When a person uses a weighted blanket, he/she is in more pressure than what is to be normal. This releases extra serotonin into the user’s body, which causes less anxiety and enables the user to fall asleep.
Weighted blankets were originally intended to serve children with autism. But they have surpassed that and people have been using them for multiple purposes such as relaxation, deep slumber and so on.
Types of Weighted Blankets
- Box Construction: Some weighted blankets are designed in such a way that they look like down-filled comforters. These weighted blankets have compartments that are filled with plastic pellets or glass beads. They are used to treat a number of ailments, such as – insomnia, ADHD, OCD, anxiety, and stress.
- Channel Construction: These weighted blankets are constructed with channel compartment. These compartments enclose the heavy material inside the blanket to move around. Therefore, the weight is distributed evenly in the blanket. So, when you wrap yourself up with this weighted blanket, all parts of your body get equal pressure. These blankets are useful for those who have tactile defensiveness.
- DIY Blankets: They are just like down-filled comforters with an extra layer. This external layer can be customized with texture, shade or pattern.
- Fully-Sewn Blankets: Some weighted blankets are built in such fashion that it is fully sewn. It makes the blanket washable but the cover cannot be removed. These blankets help your body release melatonin, which is responsible for sound sleep and sleep cycle.
Top 5 Best Weighted Blankets For Adults in 2021
If you are trying a weighted blanket for the first time ever and you wish to find the best blanket under 50, then Qusleep Diamond Weighted Blanket is an excellent option. This weighted blanket is available in two different sizes and two weight options.
- Top-quality construction: Although, Qusleep Diamond Weighted Blanket is reasonably priced; however, in terms of quality, it outdoes many highly-priced weighted blankets. This blanket is stitched in a multilayered construction. The diamond pattern design distributes the weight evenly and molds to your body like a warm hug.
- Years of quality assurance: If you want the best-weighted blanket for year-round use, then Qusleep Diamond Weighted Blanket is an excellent choice. Its superior quality material and construction allows you to enjoy the blanket for years. Its care and maintenance are also easy because the blanket is machine washable in cold water.
- Affordable price: No matter if you talk about the quality of the materials or the construction, Qusleep Diamond Weighted Blanket ticks all boxes. But the price is where this blanket impresses us the most! For $38.90, you get a luxurious, easy to maintain weighted blanket with a 30-day full refund offer.
Qusleep Diamond Weighted Blanket does not come in a wide variety of sizes, weights, and colors.
This highly-reviewed weighed blanket will allow you to enjoy the benefits of a weighted blanket without burning a hole in your pocket.
When it comes to choosing a weighted blanket, everybody recommends that you consider the Calmforter brand. This brand has established itself as the number one in the industry. All of their blankets are designed in the USA by specialists and skilled healthcare professionals.
They believe that a weighted blanket should be in two parts – one part is the inner weighted section, and another part is the cover. That way, the blanket is comfortable and lasts much longer. These notions are what make this brand great.
- Evenflow Technology: Evenflow technology is one of the best perks of this weighted blanket. Traditional weighted blankets use plastic beads sewn into the square. But Evenflow engages Stardust Mini bead 100% Glass Beads mixed with CloudSoftPolyfill. That way, the overall weight of the blanket is evenly distributed around the blanket. Therefore, you will feel pressure evenly in your all body parts.
- SensaCool Technology: Blankets can be really hot to be inside. But weighted blankets are not supposed to be used only for winter. That is why only Calmforter uses an amazing technology known as SensaCool. One side of the outer cover is silky and soft and another side uses SensaCool dot system. You can use the silky side when it is cold and can also use the dotted side when you need to feel cool.
- NON-Therapeutic Appearance: Most traditional weighted blankets have distinctive square pocket stitching in them, but not Calmforter weighted blankets. They rather feature a uniform, non-therapeutic appearance in their blankets because the whole weighting system is hidden inside the outer cover.
- 2 Part Construction: As we have discussed earlier, Calmforter is a firm believer in making its weighted blankets in two parts – one is the inner weighted section and another is the outer cover. In this way, they stand out from the crowd because most weighted blankets are constructed as one part. One piece of blankets easily deteriorates after being washed countless times. But with one of the calmforter weighted blankets, you can simply zip apart the outer cover and wash it. That is why their blankets are durable and long-lasting.
- Generous Dimension: It is proven that most blankets in the market are undersized for an average bodied person. An ideal dimension for a blanket should be 60″ x 80″ and Calmforter provides just that. So when you move in your bed, the blanket does not slide off your body. This extra-large size provides you with full body pressure and lets you fall asleep faster.
The price of this weighted blanket is a bit on the higher side. Other than that, it is certainly one of the best-weighted blankets for adults you will ever come across.
Calmforter is a premium brand and provides service like one. So you should not worry about the price if you are non-negotiator about the quality, because they will make sure you get the highest quality possible.
It is a premium quality weighted blanket for those who need sleep therapy. This amazing blanket offers deep touch simulation to provide pressure softly all over your body. This therapeutic weighted blanket is proven to be effective for those people who have anxiety, autism, ADHD, restless leg syndrome, bodily aches and pains, stress or any physical or mental problem.
- Removable Duvet Cover: Like other excellent weighted blankets discussed in this article, YnM Weighted Blanket also comes with a removable duvet cover. The entertaining feature of this cover is that it can be separated from the weighted portion. That way, it is easier for the user to wash it.
- Unique 7-Layer Weighted Blanket: This outstanding feature is like no other you have ever seen. This 7-layer system is specifically built to give you a calm surrounding while you sleep. The 7-layer system also allows room for more glass beads. So, it is also very helpful for better temperature control.
- Glass Bead Technology: YnM offers its own glass bead technology. These glass beads are sewn into the pockets of the blanket. These pockets are surrounded by soft, lightweight fiber so that the beads cannot move through the blanket while you sleep. There are multiple pockets in one blanket, and each pocket has a glass bead sewn into. Therefore, the weight is also evenly distributed.
- 3 Year Warranty: Last but not least, they proudly provide a warranty for three years. This just shows how confident they are about their product. YnM is a firm believer in customer satisfaction. So, if any damage happens to your weighted blanket, they will offer free mending without any hesitation.
Their price is also a bit higher. Other than that, it is an outstanding product.
This blanket is very effective provided you have a king size bed. Then two person can easily slip into the blanket.
By now reading through the article, you already know how useful weighted blankets are. Now we are going to guide you through one of the best-weighted blankets for adults in the market right now – Amy Garden Weighted Blanket.
This spectacular blanket is made of 100% organic cotton and easily breathable. This weighted blanket is proven to be very useful and effective for therapeutic purposes.
- Non-toxic, Odorless Glass Beads: Amy Garden weighted blanket uses 100% cotton as the layer for the weighted portion of the blanket. This layer has multiple tiny compartments which are filled with glass beads. And the most assuring part is that these glass beads are hypo-allergenic, non-toxic and odorless. Each compartment gets an equal amount of glass beads. Therefore, the weight is evenly distributed.
- Amazing Dimension: The dimension of the blanket is 48″x72″ and weighs about 15lb – 10% of what an average person weighs, which is 145-150lb. that is why this blanket is applauded as the perfect weighted blanket for an average user.
- Sewing Technology: Amy Garden has its own advanced computer sewing equipment. That is why; the stitches of the blanket are perfect and beautiful. It also ensures that the blanket lasts for a long period of time.
- Natural Breathability: The cover of the weighted blanket is made of cotton fabric. If you do not know how that is helpful, you will be amazed to know that cotton fabric is used a superior handle, good hygroscopicity and elasticity, high gas permeability, great warmth retention property, aright comfort and countless other things.
Some consumers have reported that the blanket leaks. But you should not worry about it, because these reports are some anomalies. Also, Amy Garden ensures replacement of the product.
This is an amazing product. We personally recommend you to buy this.
Casper is widely known and trusted for its award-winning mattresses. Similar to its top-class quality mattresses, Casper’s Sleep Weighted Blanket offers superior quality and comfort. The 1-year warranty and 100-night free trial speak volumes about Casper’s confidence in the quality of their Sleep Weighted Blanket.
- Inspired by down jackets: With this weighted blanket, you can expect top-notch quality construction and huggability. The down jacket inspired, quilted channels of this blanket keep the microbead fill in its place and evenly distributed.
- Designed for relaxation: The inner filling comprises 3 layers of fluffy batting and its ‘tailored to you’ design hugs your body with a cozy, calming feel. The Casper Sleep Weighted Blanket’s design can significantly help you reduce stress and anxiety and help you relax.
- Breathable and Comfortable: Casper Sleep Weighted Blanket features a breathable cotton cover that allows the air to circulate away from your body. The breathable cotton cover ensures optimum comfort and breathability making it a perfect option for spring and summer.
The biggest con of Casper Sleep Weighted Blanket is its non-removable quilt cover. Thus machine washing is a major issue with this blanket. Another drawback is its limited size range, which makes it unsuitable for sleepers above 200 pounds.
This weighted blanket is designed for people who have a tendency to run hot at night. With this Casper weighted blanket, you and your loved ones can enjoy the benefits of a weighted black on warm spring/summer days.
Importance of Having A Weighted Blanket
Weighted blankets are proven to be therapeutic. It has a lot of advantages for both kids and adults. Below we have sorted out some of the importance for your consideration:
- INCREASED RELAXATION: As we have discussed earlier, the basic science behind a weighted blanket is DTP or Deep Touch Pressure. When you wrap yourself up by a weighted blanket, the blanket softly applies pressure to your body. This pressure induces your body to release chemicals like serotonin.
Serotonin is a chemical normally produced in your body to give you a sense of relaxation. The interesting part is that children with autism also lack a substantial amount of serotonin in their body. That is why, weighted blankets are proven to be therapeutic for children with autism, ADHD and other disorders.
- REDUCED STRESS: Medical science has reached the highest peak humanity has ever seen. Thanks to the many types of research, it is now proven that there is a deep correlation between DTP(Deep Touch Pressure) and a person’s nervous system. A study shows that when pressure is applied to a person’s body, his/her nervous system activity reduces, which reduces stress. For that reason, many doctors and health specialists recommend using a weighted blanket as a form of medication to reduce stress.
- WEIGHTED BLANKETS DECREASE ANXIETY: Another study conducted in 2012 showed that individuals with clinical anxiety who used a weighted blanket saw a significant reduction in distress than individuals who did not.
There are many other research papers dedicated to anxiety which had shown that weighted blanket is a great way to reduce anxiety.
- OVERALL SLEEP IMPROVEMENTS: Weighted blankets help people with insomnia to sleep better. The deep touch pressure provided by a weighted blanket promotes the body to release serotonin – which later is converted to melatonin. If you do not know what melatonin is and what is its importance: melatonin is the main influencer of our sleep and has command over our sleep cycle. Low amount of melatonin in the body can cause sleep disorder and can damage sleep cycle severely.
Lack of sleep can seriously affect your mood and day to day life. It also causes irritability and tiredness. So, if you do not want to take drug or sleeping pills, we recommend you get a weighted blanket as soon as possible. These blankets have helped thousands of insomniacs to have a better life.
- REDUCES ADHD: As we have discussed earlier in the article, weighted blankets increases the serotonin level in your body by applying gentle pressure. This boost of serotonin can greatly reduce ADHD. ADHD is highly associated with a low level of serotonin in the body. ADHD is a disorder. People with ADHD have difficulty concentrating. So, people with ADHD who use a weighted blanket for the therapeutic purpose have reported being better at concentrating and doing tasks.
- REDUCES AUTISM SPECTRUM DISORDER: Autism often goes unnoticed by many individuals. Many people around us live with autism yet we do not know. People with autism tend to have slow cognitive ability development. Therefore, they often feel irritation, lack of hunger and poor memory. A boost in serotonin level can improve their day a lot. That is why weighted blankets are widely used for helping people with ASD and let them live a beautiful life.
- REDUCES FIBROMYALGIA: Fibromyalgia is a chronic disorder characterized by severe pain and stiffness of muscles which is typically accompanied by fatigue, headache and sleep disturbances. By simply applying pressure on the joints, ligaments of the body, weighted blankets can greatly reduce chronic pain.
- HELPS PEOPLE WITH PTSD: PTSD or ‘Post Traumatic Stress Disorder” happens to a lot of people after they experience a traumatic event. PTSD has a lot of symptoms which include high-stress level, insomnia, and anxiety. Deep touch pressure can bring down the cortisol level in our brain. Cortisol is a steroid hormone. It highly responses to stress and low blood-glucose concentration.
Things to Consider Before Buy a Weighted Blanket
Weighted blankets are not simple like regular blankets that we use. Therefore, you need to be very cautious while buying the best-weighted blanket for you. There are a lot of things to consider before buying one for you or for your family.
Fortunately, to ease your hassle, we have sorted out some major things to consider below. So let’s have a look at them:
Now you know how amazing a weighted blanket really is. No matter if you sleep hot or cold, with or without a partner, a weighted blanket is the simplest way to relieve stress and have comfortable long night sleep.
Many people often think that weighted blankets are for those who have physical or mental disorders. But that is totally wrong and unjust to think so. You, as a healthy person, can enjoy a weighted blanket as a mean of comfort too.
Weighted blankets are also an excellent gift for savvy sleepers! There is a wide variety of weighted blankets to choose from, so it is always better to consult a physician before starting to use a weighted blanket. That way, you will know if you have any problem; and even if you do, you will know just what type of blanket you need most.
That is all from us. We wish you all the best with your journey to buying the best weighted blanket for adults. And if you have already purchased one, do not forget to share your experience with us in the comment section.
See other Related Buyer’s guides: