If you are looking for a new water heater for your house, you need to understand the type of water heaters available. First is the tank water heater or the traditional water heater. Second is the modern water heater also known as the tankless water heater. the detailed comparison between tankless water heater vs tank water heater is given below.
Table of Contents
What’s a Traditional Water Heater?
A Tank water heater preheats and stores around 40 gallons of water in a tank. That water can be easily used when you take a shower, wash your dishes or do the laundry. When the water is finished, tank refills itself and heats the water again.
What’s a Tankless Water Heater?
A tankless water heater doesn’t preheat the water. When you turn your faucet on, it will bring the temperature of water to a warm level in just a few seconds. Thus, it only works when you need it.
Factors to Consider Before Purchasing a Water Heater System
Before deciding to install a tankless water heater or a tank water heater system, you need to consider a few important factors.
Firstly, you need to decide how much hot water is needed in your house? Is the water heater used for only one bathroom or the entire house is covered?
Secondly, consider your requirements in terms of gas and electricity, gas models (Tankless Water Heaters) require proper ventilation whereas electric models (Tank Water Heaters) need a certain amount of amperage, circuit breaker, and voltage.
Also, you have to think about where you are going to place your water heater. The water heater should ideally place around 50 ft. away from the source of power. And you need to mount it properly on a flat level surface.
Comparisons Between Tankless Water Heater VS Tank Water Heater
If we compare both the type of water heaters, each has its own set of Pros and cons. However, we have tried to compare them for helping you to make a better decision while purchasing your next water heater.
1. Cost: If we talk about the initial cost, tankless water heaters are more expensive than tank water heaters. In fact, they would cost you double the number of tankless water heaters. But if we talk about saving your money in the long run, tankless water heaters are the ultimate winner. so if you think that do tankless water heaters save money then the answer is yes because They are more energy-efficient than the traditional water heaters as they only work when you need hot water. There is no unnecessary preheating of water.
2. Availability of water: With tank water heaters, one of the biggest problems is that if the tank gets empty, you have to wait until the water gets filled again and then is heated. This can take some time. This problem is only faced with people having tank water heaters because tankless water heaters do not store water in the tank. With it, you get an unlimited supply of hot water without any delay.
3. Efficiency: Tank water heater wastes a lot of electricity. The problem with this water heater is that it’s running on a continuous basis, even when you are sleeping, or even when you are out. This means a lot of energy is consumed without any benefit which further leads to inflated electricity bills. A tankless water heater works only when you need hot water. When there is no use, it doesn’t waste energy. They are designed in such a way so as to save energy.
4. Durability: Tank water heater wears out sooner than a tankless water heater. These water heaters usually last for over 20 years, whereas the traditional water heaters only last for about 10 to 12 years. Also, the tankless water heaters are more compact and small in size, which implies that they don’t take much space in your home. It is the right choice for you if you live in a small apartment.
5. Installation and Maintenance Cost: The installation and maintenance cost of tank water heaters are much more than tankless water heaters. This is because tank water heaters are based on old technology and have their own deficiencies. As already mentioned above, most of these water heaters if maintained properly last only for around 10 years. They also come with a warranty of only about 6 years.
Tankless water heaters are more durable, last for around 20 years and most of the companies provide a warranty of around 10 years. Their maintenance cost is also very less and more efficient.
The water heater that you want to buy for your home generally depends on two factors- your need and budget. Also, if your house doesn’t have much space, you should go for tankless water heaters because they take less space and can be easily removed. The above comparison easily proves that tankless water heaters are better than traditional water heaters. However, if you are still confused that are tankless water heaters better then you need to do your research properly before purchasing one as individual needs differ and what is good for one person might not be good enough for you.
Is a tankless water heater better? if you can bear the initial cost of a tankless water heater, it is a smarter idea to buy a tankless heater. Why? Because tankless water heaters are highly energy-efficient and their working lifespan is twice as long. Thus they will surely help you save a lot more money in the longer term as compared to a tank water heater.
However, a tank water heater is a better option if you have high consumption. Please contact us if you still have confusions on what to choose for your water heater at home. We are willing to help you![adinserter block=”1″]
Hi, This is Luis. Author at “TheHeatersGuide”. I am a graduate in Mechanical Engineering. Currently researching on heating technology. However, I have learned many home heating techniques and still learning the home heating technolgy. And I love to share my research and reviews.